The Board of Directors for NCF will have their monthly meeting on Sunday, January 8th at noon in the Board Room at NCF. If you have anything to put on the agenda please see Reverend Donna Choate. This is your Church. Please attend if possible.
The Women's Ministry of NCF will have a Potluck/Meeting on Saturday, January 14th at 1:00 pm. All women are invited to come and share in the great fellowship of Christian Women. Bring a dish or two and join us.
New Church Family will hold a Holiday Dance/Party on Friday, December 30. It will be from 7:30 pm to 11:30 pm. B.Y.O.B. $5 donation at the door asked for. Light refreshments will be provided. Music provided by members of NCF.
Tuesday, January 10th & 24th. 6 pm to 9:30 pm (come at any time). Enjoy various board games, cards, dominos, etc. in a smoke-free atmosphere. Bring your favorite snack and soft drink. Open to the public, invite a friend.
Sunday, January 1, 10 a.m. -- WORSHIP & HOLY COMMUNION, led by Rev. Donna Choate.
SCRIPTURE For SUNDAY -- New Years Day
Isaiah 60: 1-6
DURING SERVICE -- We will be taking our monthly Benevolence Offering. Bring your spare coins and/or dollars and help us help the needy.
AFTER SERVICE -- Pancake Brunch Fund-raiser. We will be having a Pancake Brunch Fund-raiser after service. Members of NCF will be cooking. Stay and enjoy great food and fellowship and help us raise funds to do our projects.
People driving to and from church are advised to be careful of blocked traffic lanes in both directions near the church's driveway because of highway construction.
On Sunday, Dec. 11, westbound traffic was being diverted to just a single lane after the I-4 ramp. Traffic cones were nudging vehicles onto a newly paved shoulder lane. Eastbound traffic was being routed to the far right lane, making left-hand turns into the church driveway more difficult.
The Florida Department of Transportation says the temporary lane changes are part of a project to widen the eastern end of I-4 from 4 lanes to 6. It said the lane closures of US 92, underneath the I-4 overpass, are expected to be in force 24 hours a day through Saturday Dec 17.
For further updates, check the DOT website, www.cflroads.com
SUNDAY DEC. 4 -- 10 a.m. -- WORSHIP & Holy Communion, led by Rev. Donna Choate
Our Monthly Benevolence Offering will be collected to help people with financial emergencies. Food Drive to benefit the Needy Kids Fund continues -- please deposit your canned goods in the bin near the front counter.
Lighting of Advent Candle, and opening hymn will be "O Come All Ye Faithful," with Lloyd as accompanist.
SCRIPTURE for SUNDAY -- Isaiah 11:1–10; Psalm 72:1–7, 18–19; Romans 15:4–13; Matthew 3:1–12
AFTER SERVICE -- POTLUCK LUNCH, starting at 11:30 a.m.
NCF BOARD MEETING at Noon, the congregation is welcome to observe and participate. Agenda is posted on this website.
OTHER EVENTS COMING UP --
DEC. 7, WED. 6 p.m.-- BIBLE STUDY continues -- we'll be looking at the reign of Israel's first full-fledged king -- King Saul.
DEC. 10 1 p.m. -- WOMEN's MINISTRY POT LUCK and gift wrapping for needy families.
Here are a few shopping suggestions if you'd like to complete your gift list and benefit our church or local charities at the same time
-- COMMUNITY COUPON BOOK -- A fat coupon book that gives you fat discounts at dozens of local restaurants, attractions and stores. The discounts are good throughout the new year, and the $20 purchase price includes a $10 rebate to our church. Contact the Women's Group to buy one.
-- BOOK GIVEAWAY -- Visit our library to choose from scores of books and CDs donated by the estate of Linda Nelson. If you are able, leave a few coins in the coin can to help support our church. Many titles in the categories of women's issues, psychology, pets, self-help, inspiration, etc.
-- CANDLES, ETC. Orlando Gay Chorus is running an online benefit in partnership with Yankee Candle Workshop. Visit www.yankeecandlefundraising.com and enter the group number (990104739) in the "Start Shopping" box (on a mobile device, hit "Shop", then the "Enter Group" button). Then shop for catalog items and online exclusives for gifts and the holidays! The chorus receives 40 percent of the revenue.
-- EMPTY BOWLS SALE -- Halifax Urban Ministries is continuing its annual fundraiser but this year it is scheduled after the holidays, JAN. 21, starting 10 a.m. at Bethune Cookman Center for Engagement (adjacent to Bethune Peforming Arts Center. Buy a bowl, handcrafted by local high school students, and get a soup and salad luncheon 11 a.m.- 1 p.m. A silent auction starts 10 a.m. ...
PRIDE 2017 CALENDAR
As we receive word of Pride Festivals scheduled for 2017, we will add them to this calendar.
APRIL 7-9. Miami Beach Gay Pride - -The event includes a Friday VIP Reception, Saturday beach party and festival, and Sunday parade and festival. Miami Beach Gay Pride is produced with the support of the Miami Beach Visitors and Convention Authority.
New Church Family Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
November 6, 2016
Board Members present: Rev. Donna Choate; Debra Ramsay, Presiding; David Low; Gil Jordan; Jeff DeYoung; Jerry Corlis and Bob Austin.
Guests present: Bonnie Frazee; Irene Damaso; Jeff Farance; Teresa Wright; Heather Choate; Pat Miller; Glen Foley; Pam Berdebes; Tom Brown; Merrill Hendler and Dave McBride.
1. Deb Ramsay called the meeting to order at 12:09 pm. Opening prayer by Rev. Donna Choate.
2. Acceptance of the Agenda – Jerry Corlis motioned to accept, Gil Jordan seconded. Passed.
3. Acceptance of the prior minutes – Jeff DeYoung motioned, Gil Jordan seconded. Passed.
4. Pastor's Report – Approved as read.
5. Treasurer's Report – Approved as read.
6. Building Report: Quotes were given on the Pole Lighting/NCF sign. It was stated that the Electric Company may install a security light and do the upkeep for a monthly fee. Rev. Donna and Jeff DeYoung to check on it and decide if it was possible or to do the Pole light with LED light. Jeff DeYoung and Gil Jordon will take care of fixing the NCF sign light. Front entrance doors have been treated with stained glass and the archway window is to be done soon. The pavers on the front walkway are bowing up and volunteers are going to do a patch job on them for the present. We have volunteers to do the painting of lines and curbs and to do pressure of the building. Building cracks and settling foundation, it was decided to do a geological study for $3,000 to see if the building has stopped settling and the driveway also. Motion by Jeff DeYoung and second by Jerry Corlis to do this. Passed. The back deck is to be powerwashed and weather treated by volunteers. The Prayer Garden has been put on hold until after all of these building and foundation items are handled. Light bulbs have been purchased and will be put in.
7. Safe for building – T-Bear told the Board that she will get the safe before the end of the month. Dave McBride told the group that he and Merrill had one that could be used until the other one arrives.
8. Valentine's Dance – Bob and Alan Austin will host the Valentine's Dance on Feb. 10, 2017.
9. Holiday Dance – Rev. Donna will check on getting someone to host this dance. It was set for December 30, 2016.
10. DeLand Pride Block Party – Bob Austin told the Board that he and Alan will set the booth up on Nov. 13th. The Block Party starts at 2 pm and goes to 7 pm. Volunteers are asked to come and bring their lawn chairs and wear their NCF t-shirts.
11. Holiday Services Schedule – Thanksgiving Service and Dinner on Sunday, Nov. 20Th; Blue Christmas Service on Dec. 15th at 6:30 pm; Christmas Eve Service on Dec. 24th at 6:00 pm; Christmas Day Service and Dinner on Dec. 25th (with the $3 gift bag). Sign up sheets will be put out and all will be posted on the Facebook page.
12. Teresa's Needy Kids Drive – Teresa Wright spoke to the Board about the Needy Kid Drive she does every year. The Board always participates. This year one of her sponsors has cut back. Suggestions for our Church was to have a Food Drive and some Christmas Trees donated. Motion by Jerry Corlis and Seconded by Jeff DeYoung to donate $200 and see if we could make it $300 if funds permit. Passed.
13. Pancake Breakfast fundraiser – Rev. Donna asked if it would be possible to do a Pancake Breakfast fundraiser on the first Sunday of January instead of out ususal potluck meal since the Sunday before was the Christmas Dinner? David Low volunteered to head it up. Rev. Donna said she would talk to the Ladies Group and see if they would assist. The Board agreed to do this.
14. Goals for 2017 – Rev. Donna asked the Board members to be thinking of goals for 2017 and bring them to the next Board meeting.
15. Call for Board Member nominations for 2017 – A letter will be sent to inactive members and it will be posted on the Facebook page and on the website and announced at Church if anyone wants to be a Board Member to contact Rev. Donna.
16. Membership review – Our yearly check with inactive members will be done.
17. Congregational Meeting – A letter will be sent to inactive members and it will be announced at Church when the Meeting will be held.
18. Letter of Intent – Rev. Donna Choate presented the Board with a letter of her Intent for the position of Pastor of New Church Family for 2017. Her letter was accepted and she and Debra Ramsay will work on a convenant to present to the Board and then the membership.
19. Wall Hanging – It was stated that the wall hangings in the sanctuary were very dusty. They will be cleaned.
20. Set date for next Board meeting – The next Board Meeting will be held on Sunday, Dec. 4th at 12 noon.
21. Adjourn and Closing Prayer – Motion by Gil Jordan, second by Jerry Corlis to adjourn. Passed. Meeting was adjourned at 1:22 pm. Gil Jordan gave the closing prayer.